Reflective Summary📝

Reflective Summary

I would like to begin this summary by recalling the significant impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has dominated the world since late 2019. The pandemic has drastically altered people's lives, including the academic pursuits of TESL undergraduates at the University of Kelaniya, who were required to complete their teaching practicum online. This sudden shift posed a considerable challenge, as synchronous teaching was unfamiliar not only to the students but also for the teachers. Despite this, we were tasked with covering 40 hours of teaching sessions via the Zoom application. Following our supervisors' guidance, we had to find 2-6 students from the same grade. As a tuition teacher, I successfully recruited five Grade 7 students from R/Kalawana National School, consisting of three girls and two boys. All students were interactive, except for one introverted girl who participated by responding to questions via the WhatsApp group or Zoom chat box. The class was homogeneous, with all students being Sinhalese and at an intermediate level of English proficiency.


The online teaching practicum significantly enriched both my personal and professional life. It served as the ultimate culmination of the four years of study in our bachelor's program. This practicum provided us with the opportunity and challenge to apply the theories and practical knowledge we acquired throughout our academic journey. One of the first insights I gained was that not all theoretical approaches are feasible in a real classroom setting, due to various constraints. Without clearly defined goals and well-structured lesson plans, achieving the Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) is challenging.  Moreover, this online teaching experience underscored that a teacher's role extends far beyond that of a traditional instructor. A teacher must also function as a facilitator, controller, prompter, resource provider, rapport builder, and creative force within the classroom. Whether in an online or F2F setting, teaching requires substantial energy, creativity, and patience.

During the first week of the online teaching session, establishing a close rapport with the students was challenging due to the novelty and complexity of synchronous learning and the Zoom application. Additionally, frequent signal issues caused significant disruptions, as students repeatedly rejoined the class, necessitating multiple explanations of the same material. To address these challenges, I initially approached my classes in a conventional manner, gradually incorporating more creative teaching methods. 

I quickly realized that teaching online required entirely different strategies, given the limited availability of materials. Therefore, I focused on creating an engaging and supportive online classroom environment where students could trust me as both their teacher and a confidant. I shared personal and university experiences to build a connection, and the students reciprocated by sharing their own school memories. Crucially, I made a point to interact with each student individually, inquiring whether they comprehended the lessons. This approach facilitated the development of strong rapport and encouraged students to express their genuine thoughts. In an online setting, this method proved essential for gauging student understanding. The first week of the online practicum was particularly challenging due to network issues, inclement weather, and frequent student disruptions. The students' unfamiliarity with the Zoom application required constant reminders to mute their microphones and turn off their videos. Despite these difficulties, the initial week laid the foundation for a more effective and engaging online teaching experience.

Over time, I observed that incorporating games and videos significantly enhanced student engagement, interaction, and communication. These elements not only fostered a meaningful context for language use but also reduced anxiety, creating a relaxed and enjoyable learning environment. Consequently, I utilized various videos and designed interactive online games using the Wisc-Online GameBuilder (https://www.wisc-online.com/mywisconline/games).  However, I noticed that the students were not accustomed to group and pair work. To address this, I employed Vygotsky’s socio-cultural theory by assigning students to breakout rooms in pairs or groups of three, mixing students of varying proficiency levels. Additionally, I addressed classroom disruptions caused by two students who frequently asked irrelevant questions. I instructed them to use the Zoom chat box or WhatsApp group for their inquiries, which helped minimize disruptions and allowed them to participate more quietly. Following my supervisors' advice, I provided students with basic phrases (e.g., "Teacher, I can't hear you," "I have a signal issue," "Could you please repeat that?" "Can you hear me, teacher?") to use during class. The students subsequently utilized these phrases effectively. Given that students felt they lacked opportunities to speak and present their ideas in their traditional classroom settings, I encouraged them to share their thoughts and present their written work during my lessons. During speaking activities, I intervened to correct pronunciation and vocabulary. When communication broke down, I prompted students by asking for the sentence in Sinhala and assisting them in translating it into English. At the end of each speech, I provided individual feedback with suggestions for further improvement.


Their miming video

By the third week, students demonstrated increased engagement, even during grammar lessons. I consistently incorporated engaging warm-ups and icebreakers to cultivate a learner-friendly environment. I involved students in singing activities and utilized realia-based games to enhance their involvement. Additionally, I leveraged the context of the current pandemic to create relevant and engaging grammar lessons. The lesson materials proved to be highly captivating for the students. I employed a variety of resources, including online images, quizzes, songs, and audio materials, and used online tools to assess their activities. A notable observation during this period was that students actively sought additional information using Google, and effectively utilized MS Word and MS PowerPoint for completing classroom tasks and homework. This suggests that students successfully integrated modern technology into their learning process.

When addressing errors, it is crucial for teachers to provide constructive feedback and support the process of error correction rather than simply reprimanding students for their mistakes. Accordingly, I frequently provided immediate oral feedback and instructed students to use any color pen other than red for marking their answers. I also encouraged them to review and correct their peers' answers, fostering a collaborative learning environment. In addition, I asked students to share photos of their completed activities and homework in the WhatsApp group, which facilitated the correction of common mistakes. To motivate students, I used positive reinforcement such as emojis and stickers when they achieved accuracy. I incorporated dictation exercises and employed visual aids to help students memorize concepts. Most of their assignments were derived from their workbooks and teacher-prepared worksheets, ensuring a consistent and structured approach to their learning.



How I gave them feedback
              


Supervisors suggested using the students' first language (L1) for giving instructions, as most of the students are bilingual, and I found that this approach facilitated active engagement with the tasks. I transitioned to Sinhala (L1) when introducing concepts or facts that were entirely new to the students. In addition, I occasionally used synonyms and non-verbal communication to convey instructions. Despite this, I consistently communicated in English and encouraged students to respond in English whenever possible. This strategy proved effective by the end of the second week, as students began to ask for unknown words in Sinhala, took 1-2 minutes to formulate their questions or sentences, and ultimately presented their queries in English. By the third and final weeks, the use of English in their responses increased significantly. Additionally, several parents personally called to express their gratitude and appreciation for motivating their children to speak English.

The theories acquired over four years of study were actively applied in my classroom practice. I implemented Krashen's Input Hypothesis, specifically the concept of "i + 1," where "i" represents a student’s current language proficiency level and "+1" denotes language that is slightly beyond their current level. In terms of pedagogical approach, I adopted an eclectic methodology, selecting teaching strategies based on the specific aims of each lesson and the needs of the learners. Additionally, I utilized Bloom’s Taxonomy in lesson planning, designing activities that addressed all levels of the taxonomy in relation to the textbook content. This approach enabled me to address diverse student needs by tailoring questions and activities to ensure equitable participation. Throughout, I consistently aimed to create a student-centered online classroom environment.

On the final day of class, I experienced a memorable and emotional moment. As I announced the conclusion of the session, a girl began to cry, pleading, "Teacher, don't stop this class. Please continue." Her distress prompted other students to join in, begging, "Teacher, don't leave us. You are the best and kindest English teacher we have ever had." I was deeply moved and though my eyes filled with tears, I managed to maintain my composure. I consoled her and the other students, and this experience filled me with immense pride. It was in that moment that I truly felt the impact of my role as a teacher and recognized the profound connection and appreciation the students had for me. This was, without a doubt, the greatest satisfaction I derived from this online teaching practicum.

In a nutshell, this online teaching practicum provided me with invaluable experiences, lasting memories, and the heartfelt love, respect, and blessings from a small group of students. As the Indian Brahmin scholar Chanakya once said, "Good teachers are the ones who build a good nation and make the world a better place." Today, I take pride in my role as a teacher, having dedicated myself to impart not only theoretical knowledge but also life lessons. Personally, I have learned how to become a memorable teacher who leaves a lasting impression on students’ hearts.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Undergraduate Lecturing Diaries at KAATSU International University (KIU): Blended Learning

Visiting Lecturing Diaries: Faculty of Computing & Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences at SLIIT

Adult Lecturing Diaries- Beginners' General English Program